Thursday, November 8, 2012

Who Am I

Who Am I?



My name is Darren Flores I’m a seventeen year old senior living in Phillips, Nebraska going to Aurora High School. I’m one of seven kids, I’m one of five boys and I have two sisters. I was born in San Bernardino, California to John Flores and Corrine Lopez. I moved to Nebraska when I was only three months old, which I’m glad they did because I couldn’t ask to grow up in a better place in the world. 

When I was only six years old my father passed away of a heart attack, this devastated me and has changed my life so much. My mom Corrine Lopez was left to raise all seven of us kids by herself, and I appreciate that every single day of my life. My mom has become my biggest hero and inspiration, she has taught me so many life lessons ones that I’m going to pass down to my kids and their kids. Growing up without a dad was really hard for me, but having four older brothers I learned how to be a man and how to stand up for myself. I appreciate all my brothers because they have helped me with every decision I’ve ever made.  My mom also became my dad at the same time; she taught me a lot of things about being a man. My mom was the best she always made sure that our childhood was the best any kid could ask for and I love her for that. Growing up in the country I had so much fun, I can remember always being outside playing some kind of game. We would play football, baseball, basketball, hide and go seek, or we would have mud fight or boxing matches inside the house, we would also set up a small mini putt putt golf course outside using cups for the holes. It was fun because we were all pretty close in age so we all had fun doing anything.

Sports have always been a part of my life since I could remember, I can remember going to Oscar’s baseball games and watching him pitch or going to watch him play football games on Friday nights. I also can remember watching Cheyanne playing softball or basketball then watching her cheerleading at wrestling meets. I also have fond memories of going to watch Jose and Michael play baseball, or playing football, or wrestling. I always had fun going and watching them play sports because that’s when I started to really get into sports. When I went to go watch them play football I always wanted to play quarterback because they just seemed so cool, they were they guys that ran the whole offense and they made all the plays. I also remember the cold mornings during the winter when Jose and Michael use to make Derrick and I go wrestle for the little men wrestling program that they have for the elementary school kids here in Aurora. I always hated going to those because those two would be on the side of the mat telling me what to do that always made me so nervous because I wanted to make them so proud. I always wanted to make Oscar, Jose, and Michael proud because when I grew up they were my biggest role models I use to always get my hair cut just like Oscar and Michaels because they had the same hair cut. I would always try to dress like Jose because I thought he always dressed like the coolest kid ever!

Growing up being Hispanic was fun because all the food and traditions we celebrated were fun, I remember going to this restaurant in Grand Island after church to go get taco’s. When we were done eating us kids would always get free candy from the ladies there, because my dad knew the manager that ran that place, plus we were the cutest kids ever! When I was growing up I didn’t think about race that much I thought we were all the same, but as I got older I started to understand that we were all very different. I was happy growing up being Hispanic I remember my dad teaching me Spanish in the kitchen, and me laughing when I got something right. I still remember always eating meanudo on Sunday mornings, and always getting two flour tortillas because I didn’t like the corn one’s my mom use to make for the kids.

Well that’s who I am, I’m just a kid from Nebraska with an extraordinary life and I loved every single moment of it.

Life Soundtrack

"What You Know" - Two Door Cinema Club

Deep Map

Family Tradition


 

5 comments:

  1. Darren,

    I love reading about your family because it brings back memories for me and the craziness of living in a such a big family. We were fortunate to have our dad into adulthood, so I can't imagine how hard it was for you and your mom!! You have some priceless memories!!

    Dr. English

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darren,

    Your blog is fantastic. Keep up the good work!

    Tanner Howell

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always forget that you have such a big family! It must be different having lots of siblings. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darren,

    I love your "Who I Am" post! I love who you talked about your mom and how she is your hero, that is so neat!

    Allissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darren,

    I love how you shared your thoughts. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete